By Beth Mulcahy, Esq.
- Provide social opportunities in the association where people get to know each other and have fun! People want to help people that they know personally.
- The best way to get volunteers is to ASK!
- Advertise for volunteers in as many different venues as possible. Repeated pleas will have an effect.
- Volunteers want constructive meaningful work, write a job description.
- Match the volunteer to the job; if someone hates bookkeeping do not ask him/her to do the budget or be treasurer.
- Increase effectiveness by providing adequate preparation, training and tools.
- Recognition should be meaningful and fair. If you reward volunteers who are not doing well you will de-motivate other volunteers.
- Recognition does not have to cost money. Give a smile, and most importantly a “thank you”. Certificates of appreciation at the annual meeting, a note of thanks up-on completion of a project, a birthday card, etc.
- It starts at the top, proactive motivators garner results.