Are you dealing with a green pool or have a neighboring pool that has turned green due to lack of care? Pools filled with algae, “green swimming pools”, can breed mosquitoes that transmit diseases such as West Nile virus.
Report a green pool to Maricopa County Environmental Services at:
602.506.0700, or www.maricopa.gov/wnv
Tips for keeping pools clean:
• Make sure the pool pump and filters are running every day to circulate water and chemicals.
• If you are going on vacation for more than two weeks, arrange for someone to maintain the pool.
• If you have drained your pool, make sure it stays drained; do not allow any rainwater to collect in the bottom.
• Rid your property of old tires and containers that can hold water.
• Clean bird baths and be sure fountains are clean; still water brings mosquitoes.